6.04.2008

Modern Eyes in Juneau



Well I just arrived in Juneau this afternoon. So far I've been in the hotel and the airport. I'm here for work so I probably won't get in too much sight seeing. For now I'll just give you a look at the view of Juneau right now. I'll keep my eyes open for modern design. This week especially I might be hard pressed as there is the Sealaska Celebration 2008. If anything I'll get some great pictures of Native Alaskan Regalia. Several tribes from the Alaska region come together to celebrate their culture and hertiage. I've learned (via the web) that here tribal members can learn their tribal language in short workshops, they can watch dance groups perform, and they can see the ancient arts performed with modern hands. I'm excited to be on the sidelines and hopefully catch a glimpse of the ceremonies.

In the meantime here's a pic from artist Amy Ruppel that I purchased online awhile back. After I purchased the print and learned more about the artist I found out that a) Amy lives in Portland - just a stones throw away - sorta, and that b) I already owned coasters with a graphic bird design that she created for modern-twist.

Funny that. Anyway lately I've been getting into prints from artists like Amy who are of course talented and surprisingly prolific and involved in multimedia projects. There are some great print artists on etsy. There are also some undesireable pieces on etsy - too crafty for my taste - but also some amazing talent that you'll just want to scoop up and place sprinkles on. Yumm . . . affordable art.

No comments:

Post a Comment