6.25.2008

Pretty Thing . . .

When I came home from my South Dakota trip this week where I saw this . . .








I was so happy to see this . . .  










I'm very pleased with the colors of the violets and the bright orange pot. It adds a splash of color to our kitchen table. The first picture is of the Badlands. Surprisingly  beautiful - plague ridden prairie dogs and all. I looked for modern buildings but in the south west, where I was (think Mount Rushmore and Deadwood) they mostly specialize in all things old & wild & west.  I don't listen to country music much but for my South Dakota trip I listened to nothing but country. 

(The station KAT 98.7 "The Black Hills Favorite Country" played my personal soundtrack for the two day sojourn. I think I heard the word "redneck" more times in the two days that I have in my whole life. It's good to hear people embracing what used to be (?) a negative stereotype. I still think of the word in that not-so-good connotation but it was in a lot of songs and used quite frequently and proudly. Maybe I ought to start using it more often and then it won't seem so bad - just joking.)  Anyway I digress - there was one bulding with modern tendencies that I did encounter - it was the airport. See for yourself.

Now when I started this month in Juneau I was also skeptical about finding modern styled buildings but I did encounter this colorful bagel shop that fits into the modern category. I have to say though after walking around downtown Juneau for a couple of days it was the only one that caught my attention. Yay to the forward thinking people at Silverbow Bagels & Inn! I wish and hope there is a next time I get to go to Juneau for the sole purpose of staying at the Silverbow Inn - that would have been much better than my other accommodations which were extremely dated for $159.00 a night - but I guess it's all about the view and I did have nice one.  anyway it goes to show you that in almost every city there is an ounce of modern love or love of modern - from Juneau to Rapid City South Dakota! This weekend I'll be posting more pics from my great trip to FLW's Taliesin and Solteri's Arcosanti in the Phoenix, AZ metro area.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment